With the Holidays approaching you may be wondering if you should list your home now or wait until Spring. While it might seem like weather and the holidays would be a deterrent for home buyers, it turns out now is a GREAT time to list! Today’s serious Buyer never stops looking and the holidays are no exception. So if you’re ready to sell, you’ll have an even more “captive” audience during the holidays, all the way through January.
Top 10 Reasons to List Your Home During the Holidays…
1. Holiday homebuyers are SERIOUS buyers! People who look at property during the holidays are usually serious buyers and are ready to make a decision. They are willing to alter their holiday schedules and brave bad weather to get into a home.
2. Less Homes on the Market = Less Competition! Serious buyers usually have fewer houses to choose from during the holidays, so your home will have less competition.
3. Buyers are more emotional during the holidays. Homebuyers are attracted to homes that are warmly decorated and inviting. Baskets of flowers on the porch, the smell of cookie baking in the oven or a roaring fire in the fireplace can get buyers emotionally attached to your home. They may envision their family carving pumpkins, roasting turkey or celebrating with family and loved ones.
4. Your home may look its best during the holidays! Most homes “show better” when tastefully decorated for the holidays with lights and festive colors. The Christmas Tree, wreaths and lights add to the holiday spirit. Buyers will get to see your neighborhood decorated with lights at their entrances during the holidays.
5. More time off to look at homes! Buyers have more time off during the holidays. The Kids are out of school and families have more time to look for that perfect new home during the holidays.
6. Tax Benefits. Many people want to buy before the end of the year for financial and tax reasons.
7. Transfers. January is traditionally the month when employees are transferred and start new jobs. Transferees can’t wait until the spring to buy. These buyers need a home now. Your home needs to be on the market during the Holidays to capture the market.
8. You Control the Showing Schedule. Showings don’t have to happen at all hours of the day. While the more your home is available the better, it is understandable if you have a limited schedule for showings during the holidays. You can control the days and time of showings so you and your family can still relax and enjoy the holidays.
9. You still hold the keys and the deed! If you are worried that your home sells during the holidays, and you may end up having to move the day after Christmas, just remember…. You can provide for a delayed closing. YOU hold the keys and the deed so you can negotiate the terms. However, if you get that full price offer you might want to think of it as a great holiday gift and make it happen. Very stressful for a few weeks, but very beneficial in the long run!
10. Become a non-contingent buyer! A contingent offer meaning you must sell your current home in order to buy your next home can hurt a homebuyer’s bargaining power. Most Sellers don’t like this risk. Sell your home during the holidays, know how much money you have to invest in your next home, and buy your next home with a strong, non-contingent offer!
In summary, there are many good reasons to go ahead and list your home during the holidays. To make sure your home gets the best exposure possible, work with an experienced realtor that is familiar with your market area, like The Jeff Buffo Team.